All About Rhodesian Ridgebacks
Learn more about...
The Rhodesian Ridgeback is considered a LARGE dog based on the average height and weight.
Males – Height: 25 to 27 inches.
Weight: 85 pounds.
Females – Height: 24 to 26 inches.
Weight: 70 pounds.
Rhodesian Ridgebacks are commonly light wheaten and red wheaten.
Rhodesian Ridgebacks are loyal, alert animals who take pride in serving as the protectors of their families. Occasionally they can be overly aggressive in defending their humans, but generally they are just happy to spend time with people, whose attention they crave.
Rhodesian Ridgebacks require daily rigorous exercise. They enjoy running or hiking, and if they don’t get enough activity, they can become frustrated. This breed also requires daily mental stimulation as well.
- Rhodesian Ridgebacks have very short, glossy coats. They are a low-maintenance grooming breed, requiring only an occasional brush and bath.
- They are slightly longer than they are tall, with a long neck and sloped shoulders.
- They get their name from the distinctive ridge on their backs, a patch of hair that grows in the opposite direction of the rest of their coat.
10 to 13 years
The most common health concern for Rhodesian Ridgebacks is dermoid sinus. Canine hip dysplasia is less common but still occurs within the breed, while deafness and elbow dysplasia are seen occasionally.
Rhodesian Ridgebacks have a medium tolerance for hot and cold climates.
Rhodesian Ridgebacks are good dogs for families with older kids and no other pets. Though they are generally good with kids, Rhodesian Ridgebacks should be monitored around small children because of their occasionally boisterous play. They are also aggressive toward other dogs and other household pets.
- Rhodesian Ridgebacks were bred by European Boer settlers who came to southern Africa in the 16th century. They crossed their native European dogs with local Hottentot tribal dogs, producing the Rhodesian Ridgebacks.
- They were often used to hunt lions in their native Africa, hence the nickname African Lion Hounds.
- Rhodesian Ridgebacks did not come to England and America until the 1930s.