All About the Keeshonden
Learn more about...
The Keeshonden is considered a MEDIUM dog based on the average height and weight.
Males – Height: 17 to 19 inches.
Weight: 45 pounds.
Females – Height: 16 to 18 inches.
Weight: 35 pounds.
Keeshonden are commonly:
–gray –black –cream
–they sometimes have white markings
An attentive, sensitive breed, Keeshonden make ideal companions. They heed their owners’ commands and emulate their approach to strangers and new situations. They are naturally cheerful and affectionate.
Keeshonden are a medium-energy breed with moderate exercise requirements!
They enjoy long walks and hearty outdoor play sessions.
- Keeshonden have a straight, harsh outercoat and a soft, thick undercoat. They are a moderate-maintenance grooming breed and require weekly brushing; they should be brushed more frequently during shedding season.
- Keeshonden have a distinctive, fox-like expression and beautifully plumed tails.
- Keeshonden’s trademark look is their “spectacles,” a lighter marking around their eyes that make it look as though the dogs are wearing glasses.
12 to 14 years
The most common health concerns for Keeshonden include canine hip dysplasia, epilepsy and skin problems. Renal cortical hypoplasia, tetralogy of Fallot and mitral valve insufficiency are seen occasionally.
Keeshonden have a low tolerance for hot climates and a high tolerance for cold climates.
Keeshonden make super family pets. They are very good with children, and very friendly toward other dogs and household pets.
- Keeshonden are descended from a number of Arctic strains, the same lines that produced the Samoyed, Chow Chow, Norwegian Elkhound, Finnish Spitz and Pomeranian breeds.
- The Keeshonden owe their name to Kees de Gyselaer, the leader of the Dutch Patriot party in the late 1700s. The dogs were mascots of sort for the movement and, in fact, became the official national dog of Holland in the 20th century.
- Keeshonden got their start as barge dogs, serving as watchdogs on barges going down the Rhine River. In later years they were replaced by bigger dogs.