Naughty Gnawing: Training your Dog to Stop Chewing
Remember that really nice pair of shoes you just bought? Remember coming home and seeing them torn to confetti and strewn about the room? For many pet owners this is an all too familiar greeting after leaving Fido alone for any period of time. Fortunately, once the motivation for chewing is identified, the solution is process can begin and the destructive activities prevented.
Why does my dog chew?
There are many reasons why dogs chew, some of the more common ones are:
• They’re bored
– Bored dogs chew because they aren’t interested or don’t have appropriate chew toys of their own.
– Many times a high energy dog will chew because they aren’t being stimulated enough during the day (Think working dogs: Australian Shepherd’s, Corgis, Terriers and Retrievers).
– The appropriate toy isn’t available. Each dog has a preference for soft and chewy, hard and rigid, small or big.
– Provide mentally stimulating toys that reward the dog with a treat.
– Take time to discover what type of toy your dog enjoys and …